10/8/18

The Wisconsin Geology GIS app: Pretty maps, useful functions.

A geology professor of mine used to like to describe things as "aesthetically pleasing".  A goal of this project is to map geology in an aesthetically-pleasing way, and also a technically-useful way.

For example, I'm using the Wisconsin Geology GIS map to explore the "Eau Pleine Shear Zone" between Wausau and Stevens Point where the Archean Marshfield Terrane fused with the Superior Craton around 1850 million years ago*.  Awesome!  I need to explore this further!

Zooming in to this area on the GIS app,  I turn on aerial imagery which underlies the LiDAR-based topographic hillshade on the mapping app.  In less than a minute, I have a pretty cool looking 3D-ish map of my area of interest.

Further, I see the Wisco Geology GIS app shows outcrop locations marked with Xs.  Some of the outcrops within the shear zone are on public land (Mead Wildlife area).  I might have to check these out in person.  Time for a road trip?   I can find out easily enough:  Click an outcrop location: Within the popup for each is a "Directions To" link.  Tapping this will pop open a Google map giving me driving time & directions to my chosen outcrop.  I can load up the Wisco Geology app on my smart phone so the nice Google voice will guide me right to the outcrop(s) so I can keep my eyes on the road and my hands upon the wheel.

Wait, so Google Maps provides directions to rock outcrops?  Yep!  At least, as integrated in the Wisco Geology app, Google will serve as a guide to outcrops just like it helps find brew pubs. 

The next time I'm in the Wausau Area, I plan to visit these outcrops (and perhaps the Red Eye Brewing Company as well).

Click here to open the Wisconsin Geology GIS map to the area I've described in this post. It's just west of I-39 south of Mosinee near Dancy.  Try these tips out yourself for this area, or any other area of interest in Wisconsin.

*By the way, I plan to have more information about the Eau Pleine Shear Zone, plate tectonics, and the Marshfield Terrane in future blog posts. I may also update you on the Red Eye brews.


No comments:

Post a Comment